Do you know when to use a semi-colon in your writing?
If you imagined that it was a 'friend with a personality', would this help you?
When learning how to write in English, you are free to use whatever strategy works for you.
A little imagination goes a long way!
1. Listen to my Irish/Australian accent in this video. Imitate or shadow what I say.
2. Consider how you could give punctuation symbols these or your own original personalities.
3. Read a chapter of a book written in English and pay attention to the punctuation.
4. Re-read a text that you have written recently (an IELTS Task 2 Essay perhaps.)
5. Re-write the text if you think the punctuation can be improved, applying the 'punctuation personality' strategy.
This is a sample video from my e-Course: MC2 Write in FORMAL Academic Style.
As an online English teacher, my job is to offer intermediate learners effective ways to reach their goal of writing at an advanced level. My eCourses offer step-by-step guidance and are connected though they can be purchased individually. (This is what 17 years of teaching experience and training enables me to do competently.)
Often a learner completes one e-Course on a particular skill and decides to continue filling other gaps in their knowledge. Perhaps they need more advanced grammar (MC5 Correlative Conjunctions, MC7 Subordinate Conjunctions), or clarification on common writing mistakes (MC6). Personal support is available all they way!
SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel if you would like more FREE videos.
Have fun giving punctuation marks personalities!
Advanced English Step-By-Step!